Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Valentine Eve - Random Act of Kindness

Today’s Random Act of Kindness … Valentine’s Eve day, I was at our local Wal-Mart along with a third of the town's population, searching for that perfect little Valentine’s treat. While exiting, a gust of wind stripped a heart-shaped balloon from an elderly lady’s hand. The helium was not fresh, so the heart-shaped balloon bounced wickedly along the ground. I ran forward with the cart trying to trap the balloon, but it escaped. Leaving my cart behind, I went running after this wild balloon. It danced, I danced. It swirled and I swirled, we spun and we dashed. Huffing and puffing, panting and laughing, I jumped high batting it back to the ground as the wind hurled it once more. I heard the elderly lady cheer as I finally grabbed hold. As I held the balloon, I noticed the highly amused audience that had gathered. I could do nothing but laugh harder at myself to hide my total embarrassment. Carefully I handed the balloon over to its owner, knowing I looked like some crazed lady chasing a balloon in the parking lot. The woman gently touched my arm and thanked me. I looked her in the eyes as she told me that this special balloon was for her husband’s grave and she didn’t know what to do if I didn’t catch it. My heart sunk and skipped a beat as the laughter from the audience faded. This evening my heart smiles because I gave that extra effort and sacrificed looking like a buffoon to make this Valentine’s brighter for a complete stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment